February was my first full month of blogging, and I did a lot! If I’m counting correctly, I posted 32 different looks this month. (Yeah, February only has 28 days. Sometimes I do my make up more than once a day.) I also did my first guest post over on Toxid-Lotus, which I’m really proud of. Red eyeshadow for everyone! I also discovered a new technique which made me totally fall in love with smoky eyes and posted my first tutorial, on how I wash my brushes.
Reviews: This month I reviewed two collections, Darling Girl’s My Three Witches and Hello Waffle’s 1000 Likes, and created five looks for each of them. I also did my first single-color review, for Notoriously Morbid’s Jupiter Rain with three looks.
Looks: I managed to create 32 different looks in 28 days, which I admit is kind of crazy. Five were from Hello Waffle’s 1000 Likes Collection and five more were from Darling Girl’s My Three Witches Collection. Three were from my Jupiter Rain post and three using red eyeshadow were for my guest post on Toxid-Lotus. Three were from my little set of Harry Potter house looks. The last 13 were regular old face of the days. My favorites this month were:
- Gradient liner! I did this twice, once with golden purples (Hello Waffle Ethereal Voice, Silk and Cravings) and once with silver and navy (Hello Waffle IMAM and Heavy Breathing Cat) and loved it both times.
- My Hufflepuff look with Darling Girl Dandelion and Shiro Cornucopia and Notoriously Morbid Bloody Awful Poet. This was the surprise win from my little Harry Potter sequence. I just loved how bright and cheery it was.
- My Valentine’s Day make up with Shiro’s Doge and Wildflowers. It reminded me of my wedding and was pretty and classic. Plus I had a really great Valentine’s day this year, so it gets points for that too.
- Smoky Eyes! I did a bunch of them this month but the plum one with Hello Waffle’s One of Us! and 23 was the one that started it all. The pixie epoxy technique has totally transformed the way I approach smoky eyes.
- My patriotic red, white and blue look with Shiro Unforgettable, Glowstick of Destiny and Cake. Why did I feel the need to do a Fourth of July look in February? I don’t know, but I’m glad I did, cuz I loved it.
Empties: This month I used up four more of my packet samples this month. Slow and steady, but still progress.
- Skintimate SkinTherapy Moisturizing Shave Gel: Meh. It’s shaving cream. I like Skintimate in general and picked this up because the drugstore was out of the fruity scents I like best. The scent wasn’t problematic, but I’m going back to the fruity ones. (Also, the lids of these make fantastic holders for odds and ends like tweezers and q-tips.)
- Olay Complete All Day Moisture Lotion for Sensitive Skin: I love this stuff. It has been my go-to face lotion for years and I will probably continue to use it for forever.
- The Body Shop Pink Grapefruit Body Scrub: I love this so much! The smell is pure grapefruit and nothing else and strong enough that I can still smell it post shower. It’s not too harsh and leaves my skin feeling really soft. I would definitely get a full size of this.
- Neutrogena Lip Moisturizer: I’m not actually done with this entirely yet, but I twisted it up too far and it wouldn’t go back down, so I melted it into a clamshell and have been using it with a lip brush. (Which, by the way, is super easy to do if you have broken lip products too. Put the broken bit on a spoon, hold the spoon over a candle, pour the melted product into a clean container and let it set. Ta da!) I like it, especially before bed. It’s very slick and totally unscented. I like it, but I won’t buy it again, cuz it’s nothing special.
- Mint Chapstick: I finished another one. My thoughts are the same. I like it but I want something better so I’m using the ones I have up.
- BareMinerals Bare Skin Foundation in Bare Linen 03: I hadn’t realized my sample of this was empty until I tried to use it this month. It’s a shame because I really like it! The color’s a good match for me and it feels super light on my face and gives me very natural light coverage. I was worried about applying it without their weird special brush, but it works just fine with my Real Techniques Buffing Brush. I am definitely considering picking up a full bottle of this.
- SPAresource Sweet Tangerine Hand Cream: This is a Canadian brand that I got in a swap a while back. It’s thick and moisturizes my hands really well. At first I liked the scent, but towards the end of its life it started to smell plasticky. This is probably because I rationed it for too long. If it was easily available, I’d get more, but when I checked their website, it didn’t look international-order friendly, so I’m not gonna track it down.
- La Fresh Travel Lite Makeup Remover Wipes: Does every hotel in America give these out now? I feel like I got a billion last time I visited. They’re okay. I’m not a huge fan of make up remover wipes, but sometimes they’re handy. The ink on the packaging of these runs like crazy and the fabric can be a little scratchy if you’re not gentle. I wouldn’t buy them, but I’ll continue to use the ones I get from hotels.
- Fresh Rose Hydrating Eye Gel Cream: Nope. I don’t like this at all. In fact I have three sample packets of it (why, Sephora, why?) and I’m not even going to use my last one I dislike it so much. It’s kind of sticky and I don’t like the smell. Plus my dark circles were definitely worse when I was using it. That might just have been bad timing, since it was the start of the term for me, but still. Not using it again.
- Jurlique Purely Bright Radiance Serum: I don’t use a serum, but I have a bunch of serum samples so I thought I’d try one. I can’t tell if it did anything but it felt nice on my skin. It had a strong floral lotion smell. I wouldn’t buy this.
- Urban Decay Primer Potion in Original: I like this better than the Eden primer potion I tried last month. It’s got a smooth texture and seems to work. I don’t have huge problems with creasing or anything like that, so primers all seem pretty interchangeable to me.
- Greenwitch Bay Trading Co. Juicy Peach Shea Butter Soap: I love this! It feels nice on my hands and the peach scent was very fresh. It almost had a hint of blossoms to it. One of the little bars of these lasts me about a month as bathroom hand soap, and I will definitely get more.
Orders: Pretty much everything. I have a lot coming in the mail. :) I gave in to indie perfumes and ordered a bunch of samples from a bunch of shops, so eventually some perfume reviews might pop up on this blog. I picked up some new eyeshadows and lip products as well. I’m most excited to finally try out Femme Fatale’s eyeshadows and Smelly Yeti’s Buffy perfumes.
Goals: My goals for February were to continue wearing a bold lip color once a week and to branch out from winged liner by trying some halo eyes. I definitely succeeded on the lip front (metallic grey!) and I branched out from winged liner, but I did it with smoky eyes, not halos. This month I think I’ll try again with the halo eyes. I’ll post another couple collection reviews and choose another shadow to do a spotlight focus on. I’ve also got another basic tutorial all lined up for you, and a third in the works. I’m also thinking of ideas for another pop-culture themed collection of looks.
How was your February? Any beauty goals for March?